Saturday - 25 Feb 2017 | 12:11:01 Home  |  Sitemap  |  RSS   
 Bogdanov, Haddad discuss preparations for Syrian talks in Geneva   ::::   De Mistura: The Syrian-Syrian talks in Geneva should be resumed without any preconditions   ::::   Rouhani affirms to Abbas that Iran will continue supporting Syria in various fields   ::::   1500 displaced persons return to Hamas Helfaya, 45 persons fleeing ISIS in Raqqa arrive in the province   ::::   Abdrakhmanov: We hope date of next Astana meeting will be set after Geneva talks   ::::   Velayati reiterates Irans support to Syria against terrorism   ::::   Ahmad Ibrahim Ibn Saleh named as MP for Aleppo vacant seat   ::::   Cabinet adjusts rate of reducing fuel consumption in private establishments by 25%   ::::   Speaker Abbas: Syria will remain a main supporter of the Palestinians struggle and their legitimate rights   ::::   Army General Command calls on citizens to return to their homes in secured areas in Aleppos eastern countryside   ::::   Ministry of Education, UNESCO discuss suggestions for developing education strategy in Syria   ::::   Peoples Assembly discusses the performance of Awqaf Ministry   ::::   Economy Minister meets delegation of Syrian industrials residing in Egypt   ::::   Syria condemns Knesset bill to legalize settler homes in West Bank   ::::   Tuesday weather: Temperatures above average, skies clear to partly cloudy   ::::   Activities of Astana meeting on crisis in Syria begin   ::::   Dozens of ISIS terrorists killed by fires of Air Force in Deir Ezzor   ::::   Al-Jaafari: Astana meeting aims at fixing cessation of hostilities all over country except for areas where ISIS and Jabhat al-Nusra are active   ::::   Culture Minister: The destruction of faade of Roman Theatre and Tetrapylon in Palmyra is a war crime   ::::   Meeting between Syrian delegation and De Mistura tackles necessity of good preparation for Astana talks   ::::   Updated-Final competitions of the Syrian Science Olympiad kick off   :::: 
http://www.shamrose.net
Home » Culture/Arts
Share |
Al Marjeh Square a historic monument in the heart of Damascus
Al Marjeh Square a historic monument in the heart of Damascus
also known as "Martyrs' Square" ( sāḥat ash-Shuhadā’) is a major square in downtown Damascus, Syria. The square was the central part of the city in the first half of the last century, before Damascus expanded further. Just outside of the old city, the square has came to play a vital integrative function as a geographic crossroads between the "old city," the colonial district, and the popular suburbs. The square houses the Syrian Ministry of Interior.
History
The Post Office building in Marjeh Square in 1890
The Ottomans first transformed the square into an administrative center in 1890. It later developed into a business and transport node and had by the beginning of the twentieth century become a cultural magnet The square also has national significance as it is where the Ottomans executed the Syrian nationalists on May 6, 1916 sparking the Arab revolt that ended the Ottoman rule over Syria. The square takes its official name (Martyrs' Square) from the events. In the center of the square stands a bronze colonnade erected by Sultan Abdul Hamid II to commemorate the opening of the first telegraphic link in the Middle East - the line between Damascus and Medina, and the opening of the Damascus terminal on the Hejaz railway. The monument has a replica statue of the Yıldız Mosque of Istanbul on top. The plate on the base of the colonnade is in Turkish, which used to be written in Arabic script. The architect of the Colonnade was the chief Ottoman architect Raimondo Tommaso D'Aronco.
Al Marjeh Square is in the center of Damascus, where a monument was erected in 1907. The square is also called the martyrs’ square, because six Syria heroes were executed by the butcher Jamal Pasha. The martyrs were:
-Abdul Hamed Al Zahrawi.
-Shafiq Al Mouwied.
-Abdul Wahhab Al Englizi.
-Shukri Al Ali.
-Prince Omar Al Jazari.
-Rafiq Rezeq Salloum.
-Naief Tello.
The monument is beautifully decorated, with a base of black basalt. At the top, there is a model of a small mosque. It was installed in the days of the Wali of Damascus, Hussein Nazem Pasha. This square always contains groups of wild doves that symbolized love and peace.
Sun 2012-08-26  |  06:55:23   
Back Send to Friend Print Add Comment
Share |

Would you like to comment on the subject ? 
: Your Name
: Country
: Subject
: Comment

: Code
   
http://www.
SEARCH
Copyright syriandays.com - All rights reserved
Powered by Ten-neT.biz ©