Tuesday - 23 May 2017 | 14:46:17 Home  |  Sitemap  |  RSS   
 Authorities destroy booby-trapped car with two terrorists onboard on Damascus International Airport Road   ::::   2,640 persons from Damascus Countryside have their legal status settled after turning themselves in   ::::   Al-Moallem to Maurer: Syria ready to boost cooperation with ICRC   ::::   Syrian athlete gains gold medal in Asian Youth Athletics Championship in Thailand   ::::   Art Exhibition opened at Abu Rummaneh Cultural Center   ::::   Premier Khamis: The government is ready to provide support and land to any industrialist who wants to set up an industrial facility in Hama   ::::   President al-Assad congratulates Rouhani on re-election as Iranian President   ::::   Army eliminates ISIS terrorists, destroys their gatherings and fortifications   ::::   Soprano Isabelle Nicolas to sing for Syria at UN HQ in Geneva   ::::   Prime Minister: Government ready to provide all development needs in Salamiyeh area   ::::   Russian National Security Council: US aggression on Syrian army site is illegal   ::::   Rouhani wins second presidential term with 22 million votes, initial results say   ::::   Russian Foreign Ministry: US-led coalition strike on one of Syrian army military points unacceptable   ::::   Al-Jaafari: The meeting of constructional experts is a purely technical issue   ::::   Al-Jaafari: We agreed on holding informal meetings of constitutional experts of our delegation and de Misturas team-video   ::::   Abdullahian: Focusing on the political solution in Syria is decisive factor for ending crisis in it   ::::   Army foils an attack by ISIS terrorists in Hama eastern countryside   ::::   Russia: Necessity of constructive discussion of entire agenda of intra-Syrian talks in Geneva   ::::   Rural Womens Products Festival kicks off in Damascus   ::::   Russian Defense Ministry: field situation in de-escalation zones in Syria stable   ::::   Syria dismisses U.S. accusations of a crematory at Sednaya prison as totally baseless   :::: 
http://www.shamrose.net
Home » Culture/Arts
Share |
Al Marjeh Square a historic monument in the heart of Damascus
Al Marjeh Square a historic monument in the heart of Damascus
also known as "Martyrs' Square" ( sāḥat ash-Shuhadā’) is a major square in downtown Damascus, Syria. The square was the central part of the city in the first half of the last century, before Damascus expanded further. Just outside of the old city, the square has came to play a vital integrative function as a geographic crossroads between the "old city," the colonial district, and the popular suburbs. The square houses the Syrian Ministry of Interior.
History
The Post Office building in Marjeh Square in 1890
The Ottomans first transformed the square into an administrative center in 1890. It later developed into a business and transport node and had by the beginning of the twentieth century become a cultural magnet The square also has national significance as it is where the Ottomans executed the Syrian nationalists on May 6, 1916 sparking the Arab revolt that ended the Ottoman rule over Syria. The square takes its official name (Martyrs' Square) from the events. In the center of the square stands a bronze colonnade erected by Sultan Abdul Hamid II to commemorate the opening of the first telegraphic link in the Middle East - the line between Damascus and Medina, and the opening of the Damascus terminal on the Hejaz railway. The monument has a replica statue of the Yıldız Mosque of Istanbul on top. The plate on the base of the colonnade is in Turkish, which used to be written in Arabic script. The architect of the Colonnade was the chief Ottoman architect Raimondo Tommaso D'Aronco.
Al Marjeh Square is in the center of Damascus, where a monument was erected in 1907. The square is also called the martyrs’ square, because six Syria heroes were executed by the butcher Jamal Pasha. The martyrs were:
-Abdul Hamed Al Zahrawi.
-Shafiq Al Mouwied.
-Abdul Wahhab Al Englizi.
-Shukri Al Ali.
-Prince Omar Al Jazari.
-Rafiq Rezeq Salloum.
-Naief Tello.
The monument is beautifully decorated, with a base of black basalt. At the top, there is a model of a small mosque. It was installed in the days of the Wali of Damascus, Hussein Nazem Pasha. This square always contains groups of wild doves that symbolized love and peace.
Sun 2012-08-26  |  06:55:23   
Back Send to Friend Print Add Comment
Share |

Would you like to comment on the subject ? 
: Your Name
: Country
: Subject
: Comment

: Code
   
http://www.
SEARCH
Copyright syriandays.com - All rights reserved
Powered by Ten-neT.biz ©